Thursday, December 18, 2008

Its a Free World but are we Free?

Freedom is such a boastful word. A Utopian concept -- idealistic and far removed from reality. In truth, the definition of Freedom as we know it is not more than a lie to fuel the imagination of the Oppressed, kindle Hope in the minds of the Lost, and confound those who thought they have reached it.

Can anyone really be Free? Can we be devoid of Rules, Regulations and Obligations? Is it possible to be so Independent as not to rely on anyone, anything, at all? These are a lot of questions to be answered and I am not sure whether I am capable of providing them.

I'll use myself as an example. I have named this blog 'Jiyuu' -- the Japanese word for 'Freedom'. Supposedly, its a representation of my Freedom of Thought; that I am Free to discuss or reveal anything I want here. However, when it comes to exposing something of potentially personal value, my fingers hesitate. I find myself avoiding topics which might reveal too much of myself or instead, using allegory to skirt around it. What then becomes of my so-called Freedom? In the end, I Oppress myself. I am not free of my past betrayals hence the armour around my heart serves as much as a prison as it is a defence. Despite a chance of 'Freedom' offered, a path of restriction and guard is what I choose. What then of my Freedom?

High schoolers often complain of the many seemingly-endless Rules imposed on them. Uniforms must be worn, we must do what our Elders say, hair must be cut short and not colored...and a plethora of other ridiculous Rules designed to restrict our Freedom in every possible way. Ah, the day when I shall be Free of School and Rules!!! I am now Free of School but I find I am not Free of its Rules. Even though there is no longer any Penalty or Punishment if I Disobey the Rules, there are many that I still Obediently Follow. You must go to School to be a Good Person. People with low Formal Education are Inferior. Men must be Leaders and are Superior to Women (I am a believer of this although I cannot justify it).

Even if human beings are let to live with the prospect of being Free, we always find Rules, Codes, Ethics, or Routines that we Impose on ourselves and Follow. Where then, do we get the idea of Freedom? Free as a Bird, they say, but even Birds must have their own Rules that they Follow. Fly in formation, the Early Bird catches the Worm, Poison Ivy makes Bad nest material.

Perhaps the idea of Freedom was thought up by some Air Headed Idiot who did not Think-things-through. Other Idiots thought that the Idea seemed Beautiful and quickly Latched On -- Taunting others with it, yet Forever Searching themselves.

I named my blog 'Jiyuu'. Perhaps I am One-of-those-Idiots.

1 comment:

Uwan Molek said...

Rules makes us human..

..oh really...

..along the cruising of life..you will pick up soon or later..

RPG character