Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My musical preference

Okay, okay, so love songs might not be so bad. Some of them are quite good actually. No, I’m not acting like a 10-year-old when I say I don’t like listening to love songs. And no, I have nothing against man-woman relationships. And no, i am not lesbian, thank you very much, Fizul.

So back to the reason for the blog entry. Love songs. As I said, its not the idea that the songs are about love that disgusts me. What I don’t like is the certain aspects that seem to be so popular in love songs. Firstly, break ups. Unrequitted love. I don’t mind the occasional songs that sound like ‘We like each other and that’s nice’. However, I totally despise the ones that go ‘You left me and I can’t live’. Pathetic.

Secondly, obsession bordering worship. So you like the guy, that’s fine. But saying it once is enough. Twice, if you think we didn’t hear you the first time. A whole song is kind of excessive, in my opinion. All the ‘birds flying, sun shining, rainbows in the sky’ kind of thing really gets in your–well, my–face. It gives the impression that people who are in love all live in Teletubbyland. And if that’s true, then I really won’t fall in love. I’ll take the real world over Teletubbyland any day, rain clouds and all. (It’s not that I don’t like good weather, its the Teletubbies’ vaccuum cleaner–it freaks me out)

Third, there just seem to be TOO MANY of them! I mean, how many different ways can you describe that one feeling? How many times can you recycle the same theme for a song? Not to mention the same words rearranged in slightly different, often similar ways. If we judge humanity according to the Billboard Top 100, then humanity will pass off as ‘lovelorn and sex-crazed’.

Really, is that who we are?

No comments:

RPG character