Tuesday, December 16, 2008

What is love?

And there are so many different answers to that…

I’ll tell you what love is NOT. Love is NOT:

# as in the Hindustani movies…those are pure lies and overdramaticized fiction…come on la…

# love at 1st sight. That, in truth, is LUST.

# ‘Chemistry’, Intense and explosive. Anyone who has learned chemistry can tell you that the most intense and explosive reactions are unstable and short-lived, and take up a lot of energy.

Love is something created by poets and playwrites. Soulmates are idealized beings, believed in by people in order to make an excuse for their failure to make a relationship work.

Ever wonder why the divorce rate in the ‘olden days’ was never that high? Its because when people got married, they resigned themselves to living with that one and the same person for the rest of their lives and in the end, spending their thoughts, energy in time into making things work with each other. Today however, people divorce on the basis of ‘not in love anymore’. They spend their time explaining (making excuses) about why they can’t live together, instead of trying to fix things. Then set off trying to find "The One"…Good luck with that.

So, what is love? It is when two people can live with each other, can tolerate their behavior, trust and understand. Its not a matter of destiny or DNA, its an act of cooperation and symbiosis.

2 comments:

Uwan Molek said...

so..Jiyuu..

there are...

it exist..

it matures..

it need plenty of sacrifices and lots of unconditional love..

welcome to the other side of truth..

Jiyuu said...

Hello Auntie, thank you for commenting. I do love despite my post -- I love my family, I love my friends. I can't imagine life without them.
This post was mostly aimed towards the majority who idealize the definition of 'love'; and those who think love is something exclusively Adam-and-Eve.
I have had the great fortune of experiencing a love so great and unconditional that any other kind of love seems pointless and material. My family is everything to me.
Do you see now why my post was so sceptical?

RPG character