Friday, April 10, 2009

Ankle-Deep Fast-Flowing Stream

This afternoon I had to go submit an assignment for Geotechniques. It was raining really hard, but the due date is today so I went anyway. Its a hilly area so when it rains the side of the roads have ankle-deep fast-flowing streams. I decided to wear flip flops because shoes would just get soaked.

On the way back, I had to cross one of those ankle-deep fast-flowing streams in order to cross the road. It was raining hard for a while now so the stream was quite wide. A truck was approaching and I quickly started off before my whole being got drenched in skid spray. One foot had to go in the stream because it was too wide to jump clean and the other stepped half submerged at the edges of the stream. I brought forward the foot that was in the stream -- but my slipper stayed behind, held down by the water pressure. Then it started drifting away. I took two steps after it, then my other slipper slipped off and drifted after the other one. I chased after it for about 5 paces then gave up and watched as both my slippers drifted away by the curb. The truck passed by, projecting the stream onto me, and honked its horn -- whether mockingly or sympathetically, I know not.

After my slippers drifted out of sight, I resigned myself to walking back barefoot and crossed the street. I got to the other side of the street and there stood 3 university guards by their post.

"Wheres your slippers?" one of them exclaimed, sincerely concerned. I guessed that they hadn't seen my heartbreaking drama in the ankle-deep fast-flowing stream. Another guard ran out of the post to see what was going on.

I couldn't help it, I laughed.

Finally, I managed to gain enough breath to tell them what happened and we all laughed, holding our stomachs in the pouring rain.

So I walked barefoot the rest of the way back to my dorm, just like old days when I was a child refusing to wear slippers while playing football on the dirt roads. Lots of people stared at my bare feet. They would have stared at my face as well, but I took care to angle my umbrella so that nobody could see it.

10 comments:

Pepper said...

sangat dramatic....haha...nasib baik selipar jepun jak.

Alin Shoppe said...

your story is quite tragic but rather funny though..heheh (sorry to laugh, but i can't help it)
but u r a very cool person to handle such situation calmly.. great!

Mohd Hafiz Safwan said...

Kesian..shlipar ilang yer...hehehehe.takpa..beli jer yang baru..wohoo..memang hujan tadi sgt lebat..boleh jadi sungai jalan2 tu. got mandarin test at that moment..tgk laa kalau2 terjumpa sliper tu kat mana2 nanti abang pulangkan ek..

Jiyuu said...

@Pepper
yes, very dramatic. when i think of this incident it's always accompanied by the song 'Bad Day'. hehe.

@goodmorningteacher
don't worry, laugh all u want. i laughed too.

@skidezourus
slipper 2 dh xde, dh tgk balik dh...hehe...dh selamat msuk tasik kot. xpun ade cleaner yg jumpa. boleh die pakai sbb ada dua2...hahaha....slipper membawa diri huhu...

Pepper said...

Jiyuu,

If you noticed, the Google ads in your blog have a lot of "slippers". Dia suruh beli dekat situ kalik? kan kan? hahaha

Jiyuu said...

@Pepper
Yes! I noticed!

Satu petanda dari internet punya Powers That Be yang aku patut berhenti menabak selipar rumateku dan beli selipar baru.

heretic preacher said...

apa itu menabak? perbendaharaan kata yang baharu ini

Jiyuu said...

@heretic_preacher
menabak=menibai

bahasa tawau

Pepper said...

hahah, lama sudah aku dak menabak barang-barang mu! keh keh keh. Heretic, menabak tu vocab yang sangat Tawau!

Jiyuu said...

@pepper
xpa, xdpt tabak barangku, tabak syak barang rumatemu...mesti dia xkesah kan...hehe...

RPG character